Any parent out there knows there are no words to describe the enormity of it, the massively additive power of parenthood to expand your life and love and reinvent many parts of everything you just thought you already knew.
But instead of using this post to wax self-indulgently philosophical (or self congratulatory) about motherhood, I’ll use it for three breezy, fun things I think everyone can get behind:
1) …to send big love and appreciation to all you moms out there for Mother’s Day! You are all goddesses and super heroes. Imagine me telling you this every day, forever.
When traveling on business this week, I gave an unsolicited hug and shared spontaneous tears with a mom sitting on the floor at LAX administering oxygen to her baby who was having an asthma attack, while the mom tussled with an unsupportive airline staff person. If I see you, and you need a hug, I’m going to hug you and cry with you too — mark my words. I stand with all of you mamas. We are a team.
2) …to share the above epic throwback photo of my mama (Atlantic City, 1946), who [did not have an easy job with my obnoxious behind and] has my back no matter what. I could never thank her, or call her, enough. But I am trying.
Bonus: Scroll down for more throwback mom-and-me photos (featuring epic ’70s fashion! world traveling! wedding joy!)!
3) …to reward one very lucky mama among you with a killer giveaway! Read on…
Mother’s Day Giveaway!
I’m giving away the perfect stroller and carseat sunshade from Cotton Rainbow!
Fellow Los Angeles mama Jessica Nicastro (whose babe Ella is just about the same age as my twins) came up with the product, after the swaddle she threw over Ella’s stroller to block out the sun for long walks was just not cutting it. It would blow away, and block sight lines.
(Totally relate to this: It was one of my early new-mom struggles. I’m like, for real? I have two newborns, it’s July, and these blankets are flying off in the middle of a crosswalk on Fairfax Avenue? Come ON!)
But we all know how moms do: They see problems and create solutions. So she worked with a partner, Megan Mulcahy, to create this sunshade in 100-percent cotton, with a peek-a-boo window and weighted corners that are removable for easy machine washing. Oh, and they’re all made in L.A. — holla!
So here’s what you have to do to enter to win…
1. Follow Cotton Rainbow on Instagram and Twitter.
2. Leave a comment here or on the Homebody in Motion Facebook page about why you want to win! (Include your color choice of green, pink or blue.)
3. Enjoy Mother’s Day with your fam, and wait to hear on Monday if you won! (I’ll send a promo code to the winner that day.)
And now, as promised, those pics…